Master the 80-20 Rule in Life, And Fitness - FitStyleLife
80 20 rule

Master the 80-20 Rule in Life, And Fitness

For those who aren’t familiar with the 80-20 rule, or the Pareto Principle, it goes like this…

80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. When it comes to success in business or the physical fitness realm, this principle has a twist…

80% of your time should be spent DOING. Not sitting there staring into the abyss, but actually working on something. Even if you’re new to an industry or just starting to adapt a skill set, you must focus on being active at least 80% of the timeā€”the other 20% should be spent learning (ie reading, watching, studying).

The same holds true for fitness. If you spend the majority of your time watching other people work out, then you’re not going to see results… duh. 80% of your time should be spent doing the actual workout at hand. So if you have 2 free hours each day, or 120 minutes, you should work out for around 96 minutes (one and a half hours), then spend the remaining 24ish minutes brushing up on technique videos, reading helpful blogs, or strategizing a new plan for the following day or week.

Another crucial part of the 80/20 rule is consistency. You have to maintain a routine to a) force yourself into consistency, and b) see long-term results. If you have weeks at a time where you’re watching too many videos and not doing enough workouts, then you won’t see any fruitful gains.

Of course, this is all true in the business world as well. When you’re starting your own entity, you HAVE TO take action. Sure, there’s room for reading self-help books and watching videos on marketing, business management, and other skills related to your industry, but the bulk of your time must be spent building the actual business.

“But what if I make mistakes?” That’s what’s so great about the 80/20 rule! It allows you to get those mistakes out of your system. After all, mistakes are what makes you an expert…

niels bohr

Even the most successful people in their field are continually learning. It’s a necessity for growth, just as long as it’s done in moderation.

Oh, and are there any marketers out there? If so, it behooves you to know that Hubspot says 80% of your content should be interesting and helpful while 20% can be promotional. Just a nice little example of the 80/20 principle bleeding into other areas.

Whatever you do, just try to remember to WORK. Don’t let yourself become a spectator.

Share This Story On Facebook