Household cleaning is a never-ending process. There is always new dirt to scrub up, hidden surfaces to clean, and some areas that won’t surrender their dirtiness very easily.
Creativity is needed to transform your routine, saving you time and frustration. Here are some simple household cleaning hacks to make your life WAY better!
29 Cleaning Hacks to Transform Your Routine
1. Dryer Sheets – used dryer sheets make for great scrubbers around your house.
- Buff water spots from mirrors, kitchen and bathroom fixtures, and shower doors.
- Remove the ring inside the toilet
- Clean baseboards
2. Lemon for the Garbage Disposal – a couple slices cam change everything.
- Lemon is a pleasurable scent for any area of the home, but the stinkiest area to apply it to is no doubt the garbage disposal. Take two small slices of lemon and run them through the garbage disposal to get it smelling great before your next dinner party.
3. Cleaning the blender – pour warm water into it.
- Smoothies and protein shakes deserve to come from a clean machine. Fill the blender with warm water and a smidgen of dish soap. Turn it on and let it run for a few seconds to allow the water to wash around. Dump it out and your done!
4. Clean the sponge – Prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Regularly cleaning your sponges in the microwave is essential to keeping them in good condition.
- Just place it in the microwave for 30 seconds and all bacteria should be gone.
- You can also wash your sponge alongside your dishes in the dishwasher.
5. Tile Floors – just add water, detergent, and a rag.
- After vacuuming the floor, there’s still work to be done. Grab a bucket of water, some light detergent and a rag. While scrubbing, monitor the rag to make sure you aren’t simply spreading dirt around rather than actually cleaning.
- For brownie points, try using a toothbrush.
6. Baseboards – dust has a means of congregating at this level.
- Use a broom to sweep out the dust, then vacuum the area. Apply a wet cloth to eliminate residual dust.
7. Air Vents – there tends to be a lot of hidden dust and dirt particles floating around up there.
- If the air vents are too dusty they will prevent proper air flow into the room.
- Use a soft vacuum brush tool to maneuver into the vents and kick the dirt out.
- If that doesn’t work, soak a rag with your cleaning agent and wrap it around a butter knife. That should do the trick.
8. Vinegar removes hard spots – it’s pretty self-explanatory.
- Vinegar is great at removing hard water spots.
9. Blinds cleaning – these accumulate a ton of dirt.
- Combine equal parts water and vinegar in a bowl.
- Dip a small cloth into the bowl and apply it across the blinds.
10. Baking soda for laundry – a great way to brighten your clothes.
- Add a cup of baking soda in with the wash and you will be pleased with the bright results.
11. Salt removes fabric stains – pour it on and let it sit
- Pour salt onto the stain and let it sit for 30 seconds.
- Wash the fabric with soap and water.
12. Cleaning stainless steel appliances – stainless steel is susceptible to smudging from our dirty fingers. Try this once a month…
- Grab a microfiber cloth and combine with rubbing alcohol.
- Add a few drops of olive oil for an even better clean.
13. Remove shower scum – mix vinegar and dish soap.
- If you have a dish wand, you’re in good shape.
- Fill the dish wand with half vinegar and half dish soap.
- Dip an old sponge and toothbrush into a cup of the same solution.
14. Clean the couch with baking soda – spread it across your couch and watch the stains go.
- Before applying baking soda, brush off the surface of the couch.
- After applying it, let the baking soda sit for 20 minutes.
- Clean it up using a vacuum brush attachment.
15. Clean your computer – but proceed with caution.
- Before starting, make sure you are not using chemicals anywhere near your computer.
- Ethyl Alcohol
- Ethyl Acid
- Methyl Chloride
- Avoid using paper products as well as these above mentioned chemicals.
- It’s best to use a digital screen wiper.
- If you don’t have a dedicated digital screen wiper then use a cotton swab soaked in vinegar to clean areas (not the screen).
- For the screen itself, use a microfiber cloth.
16. Use vinegar to clean cloudy glasses – Combine with a paper towel.
- A paper towel and small amount of vinegar will get your glasses clean right away.
17. Grease stains – time to remove their build up on carpet and other surfaces.
- Clean grease stains from carpet and other surfaces.
- Mix four parts rubbing alcohol and one part salt, then apply to the stain.
- After drying, vacuum the area and clear any remaining salt.
18. Clean up floor particles – via tape or a lint roller.
- A strong piece of adhesive tape or a lint roller with absolve dust from any location in the house.
- This includes drawers, fabrics, and lamp shades.
19. Toothpaste on sneakers – just don’t use the same one you use on your pearly whites.
- Naturally, you need to use an old toothbrush on your shoes. Don’t slip up and use your main brush.
20. Kitchen and bathroom cabinet cleaning – try veggie oil and baking soda.
- Mix baking soda with vegetable oil
- Use an old toothbrush to scrub out all of the gunk that has accumulated.
- It’s also a nice little arm workout.
21. Clean burnt pans – water, vinegar, and baking soda.
- Fill your dirty kitchen pans with water and add white vinegar.
- Bring it to a boil, remove from stove, add 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Let it cool and remove the mixture out of the pan.
22. Picking up small pieces of glass – don’t use your hands.
- Using a piece of bread, press down on the area and watch it soak up those little shards.
23. Cleaning up loose glitter – one of the most annoying substances to spill.
- It’s easier than you thought to swipe up the glitter, using a ball of Play-Doh.
24. Cleaning those rings. – make them look shiny on your fingers again.
- The best way to clean your precious metals is by using warm water, dish soap, and a small toothbrush.
- Soak the ring for about 20 minutes, then scrub off the excess dirt.
25. Household stains – here’s how you clear up the following common household messes.
- Juice – blot with solution of 1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid in 1 cup of warm water to dilute, then apply to furniture or carpet stains.
- Gravy – apply after first treating the area with soap. Then wash and repeat as needed.
- Gum – treat with Bengay, heat with hair dryer, and scrape with a press-to seal bag.
- Mustard – apply repeated applications of detergent solution to remove solids.
- Wine – Simply blot with water. If it doesn’t work then try detergent solution.
26. Unclog drain – you may not need a plumber after all!
- Vinegar, baking soda, and boiling water is all you need.
27. Make your sneakers smell good – Alleviate the odor with baking soda.
- Just a pinch of baking soda will make a world of difference.
28. Clean the dirty cleats and sneakers – bust out the toothbrush again.
- Pour hot water onto the bottom of your shoes and use the toothbrush to scrub off remaining dirt.
29. Clean the microwave – water and vinegar.
- Apply equal amounts of water and vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Set it on high for 5 to 10 minutes.
- This should save you money on expensive cleaners.